Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Dear Occupy critic: quit moaning and lead like a badass

It is true that Occupy Philly has a giant pile of problems, and many of them are not external problems imposed by circumstances (plenty of those too), but internal problems due to ideological and organizational shortcomings. However, whenever I hear people belly-aching about these issues without a bold ambition to take them on, I feel further from a solution than I do even when I encounter the movement’s weaknesses. It’s just depressing, really. It’s helpless sectarian whining.

Grow the fuck up, formulate a plan to fix the problems, and make it happen. Get out there at Occupy with your ideas. Get a clipboard, look for people who agree, sign them up, stay in touch with them. Start a working group or caucus. Hold a teach-in. Announce your thoughts at the end of a GA. Pass out leaflets explaining your viewpoint. Build support. Be open to alliances with groups or people who already support or half-support what you’re thinking. Bring your crew to a GA and have a fighting chance. JUST DO IT.

And call me if you want help. See my proposal for transitioning the encampment into an organization (the “99% Coalition) and tell me if you like it.